Capitals Prospect Ludwig Persson Is One Of 22 Swedes On The Roster For “Four Nations Tournament” In Preparation For 2023 World Junior Championship
While many of the world’s top hockey players under the age of 20 are currently competing in the re-scheduled 2022 World Junior Championship in Edmonton, including Washington Capitals prospects Haakon Hanelt (Germany) and Oskar Magnusson (Sweden), many of the national teams are also consumed with preparations for the normally scheduled 2023 World Junior Championship set for Halifax, Nova Scotia and Moncton, New Brunswick, beginning in late December.
Washington Capitals forward prospect Ludwig Persson was one of 46 invited to Team Sweden’s first preparation camp last week in Enköping, Sweden. Persson and 21 other under-20 Swedes are now set to participate in the upcoming Four-Nations Torunament set for August 25-27 in Finland.
Team Sweden announced their roster for the tournament on Friday.
1. Marcus Brännman, Örebro HK
35. Hugo Hävelid, Linköping HC
2. Elias Pettersson, Örebro HK
3. Elias Salomonsson, Skellefteå AIK
5. Mattias Hävelid, Linköping HC
6. Victor Sjöholm, HV71
7. Simon Forsmark, Örebro HK
8. Adam Engström, Rögle BK
9. Calle Odelius, Djurgårdens IF
10. Fabian Wagner, Linköping HC
11. Noah Östlund, Djurgårdens IF
12. Lucas Forsell, Lucas Forsell
14. Liam Dower Nilsson, Frölunda HC
15. Noah Hasa, Frölunda HC
18. Filip Bystedt, Linköping HC
19. Oskar Jellvik, Djurgårdens IF
20. Rasmus Rudslätt, AIK
21. Leo Carlsson, Örebro HK
22. Ludwig Persson, Frölunda HC
25. Adam Hofbauer, Örebro HK
27. Oskar Pettersson, Rögle BK
28. Simon Robertsson, Skellefteå AIK
The tournament schedule for Team Sweden:
Thursday 25 August
2.30 p.m. Sweden–Czech Republic
Friday 26 August
2.30 p.m. Slovakia–Sweden
Saturday 27 August
The Washington Capitals announced on July 15 the signing of Persson, 18, to a three-year entry-level contract. He will earn $775,000 in each of the first two seasons of the deal and $800,000 (NHL) in the third and $82,500 in the AHL. The Capitals selected Persson with their third round pick (#85 overall) of the 2022 NHL Entry Draft.
Team Sweden will not finalize their roster for the 2023 World Junior Championship until sometime in mid-to-late December. However, all initial reports indicate that Persson is looking like he will indeed make the final roster, at least at this point in time.
By Jon Sorensen